On 9/5/04 8:31 PM, Luke Palmer wrote:
> John Siracusa writes:
>> I think the most important question was at the end of my last message:
>> is something even *possible* without core support?  Taking a set of
>> scripts and libs and making single-file, compiled (or "precompiled"
>> bytecode or whatever) executable that will run on all platforms that
>> merely have a perl6 executable installed is something that *requires*
>> core support, as far as I can see.
>
> So have you, um, seen PAR?

PAR doesn't compile or precompile to bytecode, it packages, temp-expands,
and runs.  It's closest to item #2 in my feature list, but it's something
very different than compiling down to bytecode.

Within the realm of what it does, PAR is pretty amazing.  But the internals
are (necessarily) very ugly and fragile.  I suspect the PAR author would
love to list the things he needs in the perl 6 core to implement "PAR6" in a
reliable, straight-forward manner.

As for making bytecode packages and cross-platform single-file executables,
maybe that's within the realm of the Parrot people.  But the perl 6
executable would still to understand such things.

-John