Robert Schwebel wrote:

Is my impression correct that nobody has ever tried crosscompiling perl,

and that nobody is really interested in doing it in the future?

I assume that, if you don't take this into account from the beginning it
is not very probable that it will ever work before Perl 7 :-)

Sounds like some of us with cross-compiling experience need to get our hands dirty, once the basic build system is in place. I do think Dan's plan to use a special configuration file that needs to perform no probing will work â that is more or less what non-autoconf cross compilation entails anyway. It is a pain â you have to know _everything_ about your target.

What category is this problem: easy or possible? Cross-compiling is never easy. It should definitely be possible. Keeping enough information around in a fancy cross-compiling perl script could be ... quiet nasty. Frameworked properly, however, such a script could work both for unknown and known targets. (Robert is likely screaming: "Your re-inventing autoconf!!!")

Gregory Keeney