On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:30:19AM -0500, Timm Murray wrote:

> <delurk>
>
> I searched the list archives on groups.google.org to try to get more context
> for this discussion, but didn't come up with much that seems relevent.  Can
> somebody point me to an old thread where Autoconf is discussed?
>
> One other thing:
>
> > *) Person building runs platform-specific script
>
> If that script is going to be platform-specific anyway, why not use Autoconf
> for the platforms that can handle it?  You'd cover a rather large number of
> platforms that way, and the ones you don't are going to need their own script
> regardless.

Because the plan is to build a minimal parrot first, then use it to do
the probing. The platform specific script that gets run isn't going to do
any probing, so a straight generated bourne shell script will do the trick.

The probing is going to *have* to get written in something that compiles
down to parrot bytecode to work on the autoconf-deprived systems, so with
that as a given there's no need for autoconf ahead of that.

Nicholas Clark