On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 08:07:52AM -0700, Gregory Keeney wrote:
> Sounds like some of us with cross-compiling experience need to get our
> hands dirty, once the basic build system is in place.

I suppose I can do quite some testing in this case: with PTXdist I can
easily build complete Linux userland systems for quite a lot of strange
embedded processors (ARM, PPC, MIPS) and test if it works under these
circumstances.

> I do think Dan's plan to use a special configuration file that needs
> to perform no probing will work ??? that is more or less what
> non-autoconf cross compilation entails anyway. It is a pain ??? you
> have to know _everything_ about your target.

Hmm, can somebody specify which special parameters one needs to know?
Normally things work quite fine if C code ist only compiled with the
right cross compiler; some things like endianess have to be taken into
account, what else?

> What category is this problem: easy or possible? Cross-compiling is
> never easy.

Well, it depends. With autoconf (done right) it works right out of the
box, but let's end this here.

> It should definitely be possible. Keeping enough information around in
> a fancy cross-compiling perl script could be ... quiet nasty.
> Frameworked properly, however, such a script could work both for
> unknown and known targets. (Robert is likely screaming: "Your
> re-inventing autoconf!!!")

How did you know :-) It's just my experience that people normally start
with thinking that they can do it much easier than autoconf, and in the
end there come more and more requirements, scripts become more and more
compilcated and in the end you have something like autoconf but without
the huge ammount of experience which went into the system, so working in
less situations and being incompatible.

Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4