Juerd wrote:
> Michael Homer skribis 2004-09-08 15:54 (+1200):
> > I think (correct me) what he's getting at here is a sparse array 1=>a,
>
> > 3=>b, 4=>c where 2nd is 'b' (the second item) but 1st+1 is undefined
> > (there is no index 2). I don't know how well that scheme works from a
> > comprehension point of view though, it seems a little confusing.
>
> Oh my, sparse arrays. Isn't that what we have hashes for?

In theory, yes; but there are some aspects of sparse arrays that hashes
simply don't capture - the most notable being that the elements of a
sparse array are implicitly ordered, whereas the elements of a hash are
implicitly unordered (you have to explicitly coerce them into an order
whenever you want that factor).

=====
Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang