Peter Scott wrote:

> Tony Olekshy wrote:
> >
> >But, for simple scripts, Perl's inconsistency I just what I like.
>
> Never thought I'd hear you say that :-)

Who, me?  I'm a hopeless pragmatist.  That's why I want try for big
programs.  Pragmatically, that works better there.  That's why I don't
want it for simple scipts; pragmatically, they work fine.  Theoretically
(as opposed to pragmatically--not that I'm anti-benefits-from-theory,
for I think Goedel's cool too), software doesn't work, we just get away
with it.  Life goes on.

> >I'm not sure, but I think Chaim's main point was just that, not
> >that divide-by-zero should be ignored too.
>
> Well, it could be made user-selectable, right Bennett?  Do you
> envisage being able to say
>
>          use Fatal qw(Arithmetic IO etc)

Ohhh.  I see.  By class instead of by function.  Cool.  Ok, I'll tell
you what.  I'm happy with all or nothing.  You guys work this is out,
and show the sample code for modules that want to handle both interfaces,
based on my previous examples (it's not too hard, just something with
grep { ... } @FATAL_LIST).  I'll let you know if I have any problem ;-)

Yours, &c, Tony Olekshy