>Johan Vromans writes:
>>Well, my editor has no problems to put #'s in front of a section of
>>lines, nor to remove them.

>Not every editor does this. Perl is supposed to be flexible and make things
>easy. It is not more flexible nor easier to require a programmer to use a
>certain type of editor.

If you are using an underpowered word-processor instead of a
programmers' editor, this is a personal problem of yours which you
should not expect Perl to solve.

>I disagree that the "only" use of multiline comments is to (temporarily)
>disable a piece of code. Again we should not presume to force programmers to
>do anything just one way.

    "Sometimes what you do not put into a language is as important
    as what you do." --Dennis

What Johan said has at least the ring of truth about it.  Maybe more.

I do not understand the allegation that the current situation is
in any fashion confusing.  Moreover, the solutions actually employed
are certainly more legible than those proposed.  Consider

    /*
    This particularly rapid,
    unintelligible patter
    isn't generally heard
    and if it is,
    it doesn't matter.
    */

versus

    /*
     * This particularly rapid,
     * unintelligible patter
     * isn't generally heard
     * and if it is,
     * it doesn't matter.
     */

Which brings us to

    =for comment
    This particularly rapid,
    unintelligible patter
    isn't generally heard
    and if it is,
    it doesn't matter.

or

    =begin comment

    This particularly rapid,
    unintelligible patter
    isn't generally heard
    and if it is,
    it doesn't matter.

    =end comment

as compared with

    # This particularly rapid,
    # unintelligible patter
    # isn't generally heard
    # and if it is,
    # it doesn't matter.

which, if you really must (though I seldom counsel its use), can
trivially be emblazoned using

    ########
    # This particularly rapid,
    # unintelligible patter