Markus Laire:
# Emacs and vim also works on Windows, not just UNIX.

So does DOS 'edit'.  That doesn't mean Windows users use it.  Windows
users want tools that look and act like Windows tools--if they didn't,
they'd be using another OS.  Neither GNU emacs nor xemacs fits the bill,
and I doubt vim does either.

I'm an aberration--I use Windows, but I have a Cygwin toolkit installed
and use it regularly.  Still, I use VS.Net (with Visual Perl) for my
editing, not a Unix editor.  When telnetting, I use emacs, so I
installed XEmacs, used it for a while, and decided I didn't like it for
my local work.  It had some really cool features--I was *very*
pleasantly surprised at how nicely it meshed with CVS--but it just
didn't fit my Windows-shaped brain.

You can bet that if I, a Perl core hacker who keeps two copies of
cmd.exe open at all times with c:\cygwin\bin in his path, am not going
to use XEmacs, your average Joe who downloads ActiveState Perl 6 to test
his hit-counter script won't use emacs or vim either.

--Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
@roles=map {"Parrot $_"} qw(embedding regexen Configure)

Wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in
New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. And radio operates
exactly the same way. The only difference is that there is no cat.
    --Albert Einstein (explaining radio)