C Bobroff wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Ali A. Khanban wrote:

http://students.washington.edu/irina/PNMasumehYeM.jpg

Only one name comes with "ye badal az kasre", which is a bit odd. It
might be a typo in her name or in her ID.

Concerning the Hamze Above instead of Kasre, I was just wanting to show
that the "-e" (ezaafe) is written as well as spoken. The ezafe on words
ending with unpronounced Heh (as in Ma`sumeh) is marked either as
Heh+Hamze Above or Heh+ZWNJ+Yeh and in words ending with pronounced Heh
(as in Roozbeh) is marked with Kasre. Again, in the case of personal
names, the ezaafe is sometimes pronounced and sometimes not pronounced.
This is also sometimes optionally reflected in the writing.

Sure. No argument about that. "ye badal az kasre" is used, as we all know, when the first word ends in "aa", "oo", "unpronounced Heh", ... BTW, talking about "unpronounced Heh", recently I found out that in the first year of school, they don't call it like that any more. They call it "e-ye aakher". Anyway, in a general way, we can consider it a "kasre".

I was told to give examples of the ezaafe written in personal names. I
don't think that was supposed to be limited to only when ezaafe is marked
with kasre. I might have misunderstood your comment though!

Of course not. It didn't matter if it was "Ma'soome-ye ..." or "Maryam-e ...". In both cases I repeat my argument. But if it wasn't "ye badal az kasre", I wouldn't call it an ID typo, but just a typo.

Best
-ali-