Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
I'm leaning towards the idea of trying out all the spellings of the database encoding we have in encoding_match_list. That gives the best user experience, as it just works, and it doesn't seem that complicated.

How were you going to check --- use that idea of translating a string
that's known to have a translation?  OK, but you'd better document
somewhere where translators will read it "you must translate this string
first of all".  Maybe use a special string "Translate Me First" that
doesn't actually need to be end-user-visible, just so no one sweats over
getting it right in context.

Yep, something like that. There seems to be a magic empty string translation at the beginning of every po file that returns the meta-information about the translation, like translation author and date. Assuming that works reliably, I'll use that.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas