Tom Lane wrote:
Hiroshi Inoue <in...@tpf.co.jp> writes:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
I just tried that, and it seems that gettext() does transliteration, so any characters that have no counterpart in the database encoding will be replaced with something similar, or question marks.

It doesn't occur in the current Windows environment. As for Windows
gnu gettext which we are using, we would see the original msgid when
iconv can't convert the msgstr to the target codeset.

Well, if iconv has no conversion to the codeset at all then there is no
point in selecting that particular codeset setting anyway.  The question
was about whether we can distinguish "no conversion available" from
"conversion available, but the test string has some unconvertible
characters".

What I meant is we would see no '?' when we use Windows gnu gettext.
Whether conversion available or not depends on individual msgids.
For example, when the Japanese msgstr corresponding to a msgid has
no characters other than ASCII accidentally, Windows gnu gettext will
use the msgstr not the original msgid.