I think you might be right about loading the .mcz files.  But I don't have an
expectation other than what has been said here many times: that Metacello is
the future.  So far, I don't see it.

Bill

From: pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr
[pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr] on behalf of Yanni Chiu
[ya...@rogers.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:22 PM
To: pharo-project@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] 1.4 - better from Jenkins

On 09/02/12 5:39 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Sven,
>
> Fair enough, but the game plan is for people to use Metacello configurations
> to load what they need to build an image.  I am attempting to do just that,
> and am reporting (rather negative so far) experience, with debug logs.
>
> Pharo's fault or not, something is broken.  But if Pharo is going to send
> users into the current state of Metacello, the weather around the lighthouse
> is going to be grim.
>
> Interesting ideas about the package cache being damaged.  Maybe the logs will
> reveal something??

You might want to check the package cache for 0-length .mcz files, which
might happen when the server is down.

When I upgrade to a new image version, I just start my build process
with the new image, and cross my fingers. If it fails, then I do it
manually with the build script in a workspace - select each
framework/package and "doIt". Sometimes I run the framework's tests,
after each step.

I load all "community" code first, unless I have extensions to this
code. Sometimes I've had to upgrade to a newer version of the framework,
if available. At other times, I had to create patches because I was
tracking the Pharo updates (so no fixed version was available yet).

In extreme cases, I've had to generate the list of packages that
Metacello would load, then load each .mcz individually.

Typically, I'd do "save image as" at various points, to be able to get
back to the problem code, more quickly.

I think you're pretty much following a similar process, except the
expectation that a Metacello configuration should just load without
problems on Pharo1.4-unstable is too optimistic.