For me there is also question 3) How closely they are related to the
bootstrap project

namespaces afterall is all about modularity which is the goal of bootstrap
as well . no ?
So maybe we should not view them as a separate project and more as boostrap
v2 , after v1 is released of course
Proably Pharo 9 or 10 should be a good period to focus on them. Bootstrap
will have matured and stabilize and then we can go the extra step of
namespaces.

Also in Delphi , besides namespaces which is purely a language construct we
had "Components" , think of them as namespaces but meant to work convenient
in a IDE enviroment. I really like it as an idea and Delphi based its whole
library on components. Again pure objects of course, with some metadata for
the IDE to use, like category, dependencies etc

So if namespaces is the bridge between bootstrap and the language ,
Components can be the bridge between bootsrap and the IDE , because their
role was to assembly libraries together via drag and drop and make code
like legos. So it can be Components containing namespaces, namespaces
containing objects.

Thats one idea that worked well enough in practice to make Borland very
profitable. It applied it both in Delphin and C++ Builder products. The
library was called VCL (Visual Component Library) and still exists today
after decades of use.

Metacello also can come to this game on the basis that nowdays everything
is online , Components could abstract git and other version controls and
offer a convenient drag and drop from the github directly to the comforts
of you image with no extra tool needed like Iceberg.

You can then use Iceberg to commit back to the repo.

It can really come together quite nicely if Components function as in
Delphi, a common protocol for object to communicate for IDE convenience,
without braking the existing legacy code in Pharo.

Well thats just an idea, based on my personal experience.