On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <
offray.l...@mutabit.com> wrote:

> The more I use Pharo, the less I use web documentation.

That is a familiar path, but still an obstacle for people to get over in
trying Pharo - i.e. its a barrier of entry.  I've previously referred to
this article by JoelOnSoftware, but to pull out a key part... "Think of
these barriers as an obstacle course that people have to run before you can
count them as your customers. If you start out with a field of 1000
runners, about half of them will trip on the tires; half of the survivors
won’t be strong enough to jump the wall; half of those survivors will fall
off the rope ladder into the mud, and so on, until only 1 or 2 people
actually overcome all the hurdles. With 8 or 9 barriers, everybody will
have one non-negotiable deal killer.  This calculus means that eliminating
barriers to switching is the most important thing you have to do if you
want to take over an existing market, because eliminating just one barrier
will likely double your sales. Eliminate two barriers, and you’ll double
your sales again."

For example, Stef mentioned that the Pharo web docs were dropped because
were't used much.  But perhaps their value is not for regular use by the
community, but more for outsiders evaluating Pharo, or newcomers
transitioning from their old workflow to a Pharo one.  In that case their
value eliminating one barrier of entry is much greater than measured from
the number of page hits.

btw, What I like about Richards's articles is that... most of our
community's articles are for people already using Pharo, even if only a
newcomer of a few days working through an introductory tutorial.  Richard's
articles target outsiders and one of the side benefits for *me* is that it
pulls in critical outside perspectives to remind me of the
barriers-of-entry stopping people using Pharo.

Take for instance the common angst people have against working in an Image
in Smalltalk.  There are some legitimate concerns with ending up in a state
you can't recreate, which we are addressing this with the bootstrapping
projects.  But I think we might publicize this better to outsiders. For
example... Mr Smith knows nothing about Smalltalk and takes an interest in
Pharo.  Smith discusses with colleague Jones who presents a poor opinion of
the Smalltalk Image approach. So Smith never tries Pharo!  Alternatively,
if Smith has already read in an FAQ about this common argument and how we
address it by our bootstrap process, he can inform Jones', and maybe
now we've got two curious newcomers.

cheers -ben