The first language I played with, I was nearly 5, was a live
environment, Forth.  I used it on an old PDP my mother had bought that
was being surplused at the company she worked at.  I used Forth until I
was in my early teens, it was far superior to the BASIC that most other
kids I knew who knew any programming used.  It wasn't Smalltalk, but in
many of the areas it was used (production automation is one major
area), the language that most often replaced it was Smalltalk.
The biggest difference, for me, as I wrote in the article the other
day, is the ability to build-on rather than build-with, which in turn
is based on the environment being written in itself. Ruby looks very
much like Smalltalk, but it works like Java; Python works more like
Smalltalk, and it's a much better live environment than Java or Ruby,
because more of it is written in itself, but too much of Python is
written in C, and that causes problems. If the code that
interprets/compiles your code follows the same rules, the machine code
it generates will usually also follow the same rules, and those
rules/restrictions are, for the most part, designed to make code more
reliable.
As well, RVM has proven Smalltalk (specifically Squeak / Pharo, though
admittedly an older version) can scale to 1024 cores nearly linearly.
Python has a decent developer base but it's almost all OSS and almost
all on Linux. Very few applications in Python are in areas where
reliability is absolutely necessary, or even all that important.  Like
Smalltalk, it's a general purpose language in a niche, but the niches
are very different. For years, decades really, any good version of
Smalltalk cost an arm and a leg (some of them both of each), and as a
result it tended to be used only where things really had to work.
Pharo is a great OSS Smalltalk, IMHO by the best to date (Squeak was/is
good, but the LaF was never professional enough for it to be taken as
seriously as it deserves, it just looks too much like a toy although in
reality it's very powerful). Having the capability to build-on a
reliable, attractive and enjoyable base without signing over my great-
grand-child's first born is fantastic, and a great achievement for
those who accomplished it.
Kendrick is an example of what can be done if you build-on:  it was
built on Moose, which is built on Glamorous, which is built on Morphic,
which itself is based on a couple of decades work olving the basic
problems inherent to UI's and MVC-type UI's in particular.  Kendrick
itself was written in a very short time when you compare it with other
epidemiology programs, if you only count the time spent on Kendrick
itself.  It's an inherently complex problem area, and it's a life or
death problem area. That an application capable of working reliably
enough to be trusted in that area was built in a short time, because it
was built-on a couple of decades of OSS work, is a huge compliment to
those who were involved.
Unfortunately for me, I wasn't, ☺.  But at least I can take advantage
of it existence now.
Andrew