It is up to the local postmaster to decide whether to honor the claim.  If it
is disallowed there are
avenues of appeal but what is your time worth?  I have had them promptly paid
and also denied, just
depends on where you are at the time.  However, if you think it is worth the
$7.00 and change to not
have to take the chance then send it Registered Mail.

Rich