The issue with the phpclasses repository is that none of the classes really
'work together' much like the Java and .NET classes.  As you have known,
extremephp.org was a project I started awhile back to do such a framework
(well, actually a lot of subframeworks meshed into one).  Nonetheless, this
hasn't happened with PHP.  Also, the people who submit to phpclasses.org
don't have to be super architects.  This is good and bad.  The bad thing is,
many of the classes there aren't as good as they could be because 1 mind was
behind the wheel and lots of times the classes even brake standard OO design
heuristics.  When someone with a lot of design experience looks at the
classes, they say, "hmm.. i wonder if all the work done on PHP is this
questionable.".  You can't wind everyone, but not too much work has been
done to make solid OO frameworks and tools.  I tried.. but the project is
too damn big.

I don't think it has too much to do with bad Fame.  For instance, several
large companies still use php, including the work I did on altavista and
Rackspace and audiogalaxy use PHP as well.  Sure, more well known sites that
use PHP would increase its popularity, but what I really think is that PHP
needs a real platform that makes it even faster to develop websites and
client-side tools - or it's going to fall behind.  It's really as simple as
that.

Regards,
Ken Egervari