On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:54:33AM -0400, Ken Egervari wrote:
> a) no enough are learning php which in itself, says PHP is not doing a good
> enough job promoting the language
And that's the problem. PHP isn't promoted anymore. Not in the way .NET and Java are.
2 years ago i convinced my boss to use PHP, but these says MS and Java can do the same
stuff as PHP.

So how do i have to justify the use of PHP if .NET is doing the same. But at my
company there are in total 6 PHP developers, 12 java and 39 ASP developers.

All the programmers are MCSD certified. Even the PHP developers! Oh the PHP developers
have also a brainbench certificate. The Java guys are also Java certifified

So everyone (in the company) knows the MS tools. But only 6 PHP.  And with these facts
my boss choses for ASP/.NET

> b) there actually needs to be more support for PHP software in comparison to
> .net and java applications.
First, the PHP documentation is great. But that's all.
Did you even seen what MSDN and TechNet are providing. honderds of cd's with
documentation, articles, code samples, columns and the latest version of the most
important MS products.

And because i like PHP i'm still promoting it within my company. But no-one is helping
me!!
The lastest thing my boss read about PHP was the MIME bug.

And about the trainings. You're crazy thinking knowing the language is enough. If
you're buy 3 books about PHP. They will all learn you to program in PHP.
But all three in a different way. And the more ways you know to solve a problem, the
better.

And those training provides you with that knowlegde.
And as long microsoft is giving away those free training (not briefings) i'm very
willing to take them.

Dave Mertens