On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, John Coggeshall wrote:

> I am completely +1 to the concept of taking error codes out of the PHP
> core and replacing them with an XML document, period. I say this
> regardless of language considerations -- I just think for everyone
> involved having a XML document which controls the errors that are
> generated is just a good idea.

I'm a big -1 on introducing XML bloat for error codes/descriptions

> As I layed out before, I'd like to
> replace the current error system with a error-code based system (see my
> earlier thread for information on what I was thinking on this)... Now,
> on to the question of localization...
>
> The biggest complaint that people seem to have regarding localization is
> that the QA team and such would suddenly find themselves trying to
> dechipher french in order to track down a bug... It's funny, you guys
> don't want errors in a forigen language because they are too difficult
> to understand yet you don't mind forcing the developers who don't speak
> english to do the same? This is exactly my point. I feel that, with a
> proper implementation, PHP can be globalized WITHOUT making lives
> difficult for the development team.

But those _users_ expect us to support PHP for free. I think it's
totally different.

> What I propose is based off of my first proposal of Error codes based on
> Maxim's suggestions. Basically, I'd like to see errors broken down into
> three separate code constants: TYPE, MODULE, AND ERROR... Where TYPE
> would be E_ERROR, etc, MODULE would be the extension causing the error
> (M_PHP_CORE, etc) and ERROR would be the actual error that occurred
> (i.e. E_PHP_CORE_PARSE). Notice that I am using "descriptive" names for
> the error constants. This is because I suggest that although each
> individual error message is localized to german, french, etc, every
> error message displays this "descriptive" errorcode... Ie..
>
> Error (module: E_ERROR, M_PHP_CORE): A parse error occurred at line 34
> of file foobar.php (E_PHP_CORE_PARSE)
>
> Störung (Modul: E_ERROR, M_PHP_CORE): Eine Satzgliederung Störung trat
> an Linie 34 der Akte foobar.php auf (E_PHP_CORE_PARSE)
>
> Erreur (modules: E_ERROR, M_PHP_CORE): A erreur parse occurred AT ligne
> 34 of fichier foobar.php (E_PHP_CORE_PARSE)
>
> This would be simple to implement, and no more of a hassle to maintain
> that what already exists however still provides enough information to
> the development/QA teams (we know the type, the module, and the actual
> error which occurred) yet still allows the developers who aren't
> english-speaking to still have some clue as to what the heck happened
> with their script.

But for all I know nobody on the QA team will do any effort to look at
it, but just press the "in-english" quickfix; and I can assure you that
that will be added right away IF this stupid localization idea is
implemented.

Derick