On November 25, 2002 09:09 pm, Philip Olson wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Really? Let's see on average each function generates @ least one warning
> > message, so we have @least as many warnings as we have functions. Warning
> > messages get constantly re-arranged, by having a separate database for
> > them making changes to warning messages will become more complex then
> > writing the actual code. So, people will in many cases cut corners and
> > just RETURN_FALSE; without giving a detailed explanation. Most developers
> > like to write code, not modify XML files & and write essays for proof
> > look @
> > http://www.zend.com/phpfunc/statistics.php, according to that page ~14%
> > of all functions in PHP are not documented in the English language.
>
> Just to defend phpdoc a bit, this statistic is based on
> a php manual generated on April 25, 2002, which is when
> zend.com/manual/ was last updated.  Also, missing functions
> are almost all from experimental and/or cvs only functions.
> Sure your point is still valid (php-dev would rather code than
> document) but the numbers are a little misleading... and that's
> why such a great phpdoc team exists :)

phpdoc team does a great job, I am sure translating and fixing docs is not a
fun job and any effort put towards such a goal should be commended. However,
your task list will double if not more should the i18n error message be
added. Even now it appears there is too much to do, juding by the fact that #
of documentation bug reports seems to increase rather then decrease when
compared to the actual source code bugs. By assigning more work to same
number of people will lead to even less work being accomplished, so just from
a logistical stand point i18n errors are not a good idea.

Ilia

P.S. Most if not all cvs only functions will be a part of 4.3.0.