Another outsider's opinion, for whoever cares. Some relevant info about me:
1. I have interacted directly with Paul M. Jones many times via email and
IRC when I was using the Solar framework, and from my (somewhat distant)
memory he was very helpful and very intelligent in our exchanges. I don't
believe I have interacted directly with anyone else in this group.
2. I've used PHP for years, have heard of PSRs, but prior to seeing this
thread, didn't know about PHP-FIG or that Paul was part of the group that
created the PSRs.

I saw this thread a few days ago and hesitated to write for several
reasons, one of them being: I follow Paul on [social media outlet], and
some of his public opinions make me a bit uneasy about publicly defending
him. I think he's brilliant programmer, but I find some of his political
views to be based on ignorance.

That said, despite my strong disagreements with some of his political
views, I don't think anyone should be allowed to vote him off [social media
outlet]. I don't think he should be excluded from society, or prevented
from voting in elections. If you disagree with him, and genuinely want to
put effort into doing something about it, IMO the only constructive
approach is try to teach him why you think he's wrong, or "toxic".
Otherwise, it's on you to ignore it. That's not about thick skin; IMO, that
is how civil societies function.

Yours is a private, self-selecting organization. You don't have to be
democratic, be nice to each other, follow any rules or even exist. But your
own FAQ says "The idea behind the group is for project representatives to
talk about the commonalities between our projects and find ways we can work
together." This thread seems like the exact opposite of that.

I was surprised by the calmness of Paul's response, and my only explanation
is that despite the hate going his way in this thread, he tried to be
neutral in his response because he still wants to find a way to work
together. If you expected an apology from Paul after this thread, I suggest
you try to put yourself in Paul's shoes and re-read this thread from his
perspective. Many of the messages are quite hostile, and the thread does
not seem to have started with the goal of conflict resolution; it looks to
me more like conflict escalation, an ultimatum and a witch hunt, as some
others have pointed out.

I hope you all figure out how to work together. And when you do, please
make a PSR with the solution.

Best of luck.

  • Re: [Internal] [... Larry Garfield
    • Re: [Intern... Glenn Eggleton
      • Re: [In... Lukas Kahwe Smith
        • Re:... Chris Johnson
          • ... Paul Jones
          • ... Glenn Eggleton
          • ... Matthew Weier O'Phinney
          • ... Andrew Carter
          • ... Matthew Weier O'Phinney
          • ... Andrew Carter
          • ... Hamza Kubba
          • ... Paul Jones
          • ... Christopher Pitt
          • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
          • ... Lukas Kahwe Smith
          • ... Roman Tsjupa
          • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
          • ... Larry Garfield
          • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
          • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
          • ... Mark Baker