On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 1:30:03 AM UTC+2, Christopher Pitt wrote:

> Finally, to the complainants: you wanted to hang me, so start tying the
>> noose and call the vote.
>>
> That is uncalled for. Asking for something to be addressed/discussed is in
> no way a desire to hang you. This statement does nothing but appear to
> vilify folks obviously seeking some kind of mediation with you.

That seems to be a perfect example of the problem. It is a personal comment
and unnecessary.

And mediation can only work, if both sides agree there is a problem. Paul
says he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Others say he did. No
agreement. No mediation.

I still say, the FIG has yet to properly set the rules on what they expect
from its members, when it comes to civil discourse within the mailing list
and how to judge violations of those responsibilities/ rules and what
punishment those violations should require. Until that happens, any member
can become "toxic" and there will be again long winded discussions about
that problem, instead of swift and coherent resolution. Oh, and these are
long winded discussions, which rob the FIG of energy that could be used for
much more productive discussions.

In other words, the FIG as an organization, can't show Paul his wrong
doing, because there is nothing to go by other than personal opinion. The
FIG also can't just vote a member out of the mailing list, because there is
no mention of this process in the by-laws. The FIG must first work on
getting that situation straight within its own rules and regulations. Then
they can work on Paul's and anyone else's incivility issue and have a much
more objective basis to do so. Mr. X, you've broken paragraph X of by-law
Y. A of B voting members agree. You are now banned from responses in the
mailing list for Z months.

I hate to say it, but this thread, in effect, is a lynch mob. So Paul's
"tie the noose" comment is actually in line with the situation. This
activity is basically wrong from a civil standpoint. Unless the "law" says
what Paul has done is wrong, it is only dissatisfaction in Paul's person
and nothing else and people should actually either make the necessary
changes to show, rule on and punish the incivility, or live with it.

Scott

            • ... Chris Johnson
              • ... Paul Jones
              • ... Glenn Eggleton
              • ... Matthew Weier O'Phinney
              • ... Andrew Carter
              • ... Matthew Weier O'Phinney
              • ... Andrew Carter
              • ... Hamza Kubba
              • ... Paul Jones
              • ... Christopher Pitt
              • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
              • ... Lukas Kahwe Smith
              • ... Roman Tsjupa
              • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
              • ... Larry Garfield
              • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
              • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
              • ... Mark Baker
              • ... Michael Cullum
      • Re: [In... Stephen Rees-Carter
  • Re: [Internal] [... Samantha QuiƱones