on 10/22/03 13:32, David T-G at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Richard, et al --
>
> ...and then Richard Baskett said...
> %
> % on 10/21/03 16:40, David T-G at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> %
> % > ...and then Marco Tabini said...
> % > %
> % > % php.general for new messages and send back an e-mail to the list with
> % >
> % > A nice idea, but terribly difficult to implement practically.  It was
> % > tried on the mutt-users list and the manitainer was roundly flamed :-)
> %
> % It seems like it would be ok to have it sent to the person that asked the
> % question...  And then if they did not want to receive those notices, then
> % they could opt out of that..
>
> That sounds a lot like opt-out spam.  Is it OK for me to send you lots of
> unsolicted, form-letter, machine-generated emails? :-)
>
> It wasn't pretty.

I understand what you are saying, but if it's part of the agreement when you
sign up for the php-general mailing list.. then...  And at any time you can
opt in again if you wanted.  Or if that is still too intrusive then have a
little notice at the bottom of each php-general mailing along with the other
footer stuff and let people opt in that way from the beginning...

Rick

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the
sensitive soul to tears. - Edgar Allan Poe