This is, I suppose, a completely off topic thread. However, I just
read the web page
and I was completely unconvinced. In all the years that I have belonged
to and run mailing lists, I have never experienced any difficulties.
Period. Never. It has been easier and more convenient than this "reply
to the sender and not the list" system, without a doubt.
  The complaints as outlined on the web page are somewhat silly. When
saying that replying to the mail author is a big hassle on mailing
systems with "munging" the web page author says that one has to "write
down" the sender's email address and other steps which simply don't
apply. I'm using Outlook, and I've always been able to just double click
the original senders address and send that way. No writing down, or even
copying and pasting required.
  There's even a privacy argument to be made that some people may prefer
a list where their own address is not shown. What they post is for, and
in context of, the list only, and not an invitation for private mail. In
some situations, I think that would be fair.
  "Coddling the Brain-Dead, Penalizing the Conscientious" is just
needlessly inflammatory and biased. If the over whelming majority of
people expect a system to behave one way, that's not evidence that they
are "brain dead", but that it's very likely the expected behaviour is
more natural for people, and systems should match humans, not vice
versa.
  "Freedom of choice" is equally satisfied by automatically going to the
list but being able to choose to send to the email author. It's the
exact equivalent of automatically going to the author but being able to
choose to send to the list.
  "It Adds Nothing" is absolutely false. Being able to automatically
respond to the list adds more naturally expected behaviour.
  I could go on, point by point. But I have a feeling it would fall on
deaf ears. If the overwhelming evidence that so many mailing lists and
so many people on them function very well on email lists where the mail
automatically goes to the list is not evidence enough, than I doubt
anything ever will be.
  Telling people that they need to use proper email software and go
about things in the way they don't expect is not a path to sensible
human interfaces. Computers, machines, systems, should match us, not us
to them. In any case, despite the difficulties, computers are much
easier to change than people.
  I remain steadfast in my opinion that automatically replying to the
list is a much more natural option.