On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Mike Griffiths <mgriffi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 July 2014 14:14, Peter Cowburn <petercowb...@gmail.com> wrote:

What is the endgoal here? Other then gaining statistics for your
accounting department and sprinkling PKI arguments, what will we do
with these numbers?

Its all fun and cool and ego boosting to see huge visitor numbers, and
it can create good laughs seeing how many use certain browsers or
whatever.. but so?

Seeing the most common search terms and most access doc page are
indeed very useful and we should definitely bring that back.
Philip used the search terms in the past to improve php.net/foobar
redirects in the past.
The most commented-on-docpages are also used by the doc team to see
what needs to be improved... That number is probably similar to the
most accessed docpage.

I don't mind adding some metrics, but lets figureout what exactly we
are going to use it for first. Thats the only way we can figureout
which datapoints we need.

Lets identify the problem before providing solutions.

>>> Well I've had an email this morning from someone saying we used to have
>>> GoSquared, and it was very useful and used often, but unfortunately it was
>>> removed by someone who didn't use it.
>>>

>> I don't know who emailed you, but it was indeed useful and was used
>> often... by three people... for a few weeks.

Is this one person who mailed you protected by attorney/client privilege?
Thats an oddly anonymous statement.

I removed GoSquare because it had served its purpose during the redesign.
Well, thats not true. The reason I removed GoSquare was because it was
so slow I cried myself to sleep.
I also do not care for being tracked like this.

> Things like this probably get little use because they're not known by
> everyone.  If there was something added into the VCS login, or whatever,
> that made it a bit more visible then it will likely get more use.  I've
> lost track of the number of times something has been suggested and we get
> "Oh there's a tool for that, but no one uses it", or even worse "...it's
> been removed" - I wonder how much of this is because people aren't aware of
> their existence?

People that work on things around here are pretty familiar with the
availabilities..

>>> I'd be happy if GoSquared was re-instated.  Google Analytics is the
>>> market leader, so it's the example I used, but I don't mind what it is
>>> that's used.
>>>

>> My main concern is introducing something that affects every single user
>> visiting php.net, and on every single visit, for something that one or
>> two people might look at once a month or less.
>>
>> Don't forget that we are already logging lots of information that could be
>> collated and presented somewhere centrally (say, a new page on master) with
>> zero impact on the site.
>>

> Like I say - I don't mind how we get the data, so long as we can all get
> it, in a usable format.  If it's all being collected already but not yet
> presented, then let's crack on with that.  If not, let's discuss
> alternatives.

Excellent \o/
To be able to present the data in "usable format" we need to identify
what the data will be used for and the end goal.
Failing that, we should hire couple of experienced data analysts and
get someone to staple the KPI reports :)

-Hannes