On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Anatol Belski <anatol....@belski.net> wrote:
> Hi Johannes,

Thats what we want. We want the official release balls to be generated
by an "official server" using the official toolchain.
There should never be a time when a Release Manager pulls up his
notebook, does a checkout and packages that and uploads. Its bad
enough we have this for pecl exts, but there is no reason for php-src
to be playing with fire and infiltration agencies.

That has unfortunately happened before, and resulted in us
distributing .orig files (patch conflicts), .exp, .out, .php, ...
(failed tests results) and even wrongly generated artifacts (due to
wrong bison/re2c versions installed locally).

We don't want that happen again.
The official releases should be done on "snap box", and be completely
automated with no room for accidents.
It produces several archives, and we can add .zip to that mix if not
already available.

It should be obvious that any binary distribution that aims to be
official PHP.net release should use this official release, not some
custom mix of things.
It is important that these official binaries also don't regenerate the
files in the archive.
If there is an extra file (.w32?), or touching of files, required to
make this archive usable to generate binaries from - then please fix
the root problem; touch the file before the packaging (and update the
README :)).

-Hannes