On Jun 16, 2015 1:34 AM, "Hannes Magnusson" .

> Thats what we want. We want the official release balls to be generated
> by an "official server" using the official toolchain.

For the tarballs? Yes. Only that it does not happen last time I checked.

> There should never be a time when a Release Manager pulls up his
> notebook, does a checkout and packages that and uploads. Its bad
> enough we have this for pecl exts, but there is no reason for php-src
> to be playing with fire and infiltration agencies.

It was the goals of snaps, but given the issues we have to keep it up,
running and accessible, it does not happen.

As of "infiltration agencies", code signing helps. Using https (htts)
helps. But you did not want it.

> That has unfortunately happened before, and resulted in us
> distributing .orig files (patch conflicts), .exp, .out, .php, ...
> (failed tests results) and even wrongly generated artifacts (due to
> wrong bison/re2c versions installed locally).

Yes, we really need a standard box for that (snaps?).

> We don't want that happen again.
> The official releases should be done on "snap box", and be completely
> automated with no room for accidents.
> It produces several archives, and we can add .zip to that mix if not
> already available.
>
> It should be obvious that any binary distribution that aims to be
> official PHP.net release should use this official release, not some
> custom mix of things.
> It is important that these official binaries also don't regenerate the
> files in the archive.
> If there is an extra file (.w32?), or touching of files, required to
> make this archive usable to generate binaries from - then please fix
> the root problem; touch the file before the packaging (and update the
> README :)).

The sources zip archives have no code difference. They are a convenient
archive used by many builds tools. That did not change since the last time
we discussed that.