2010/11/19 Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Philip Olson <phi...@roshambo.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I sent a mail to the doc...@lists.php.net, no reply yet.
>> > As you can see, the hungarian translation is pretty abadoned:
>> > http://news.php.net/php.doc.hu
>> >
>> > So I'm afraid that maybe my svn request won't be approved or granted
>> > karma without an active hungarian translation group member.
>> > Could this be a problem, or I should simply wait some more?
>>
>> The main reason to write mailing lists of inactive languages is to see if
>> anyone is sleeping, as sometimes people wake up and decide to help out. Who
>> knows, your email to doc-hu@ still has time!
>>
>> Having an active group member present is nice but certainly not required,
>> especially for inactive languages. But the standard procedure before
>> receiving an account (and associated karma (commit rights)) is to do some
>> work first. Please have a look here:
>>
>>  - http://wiki.php.net/doc/howto/gettingstarted
>>
>> Basically it means you do some translating, show us, and then you join in
>> on the fun. See if the above helps and please feel free to ask questions.
>>
>> Also, let's keep this only on the doc list starting *click* now.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Philip
>
> Hi Philip, I didn't got reply from the doc-hu mailing list.
> I've started to read trough the documenation about the current phpdoc
> infrastructure (configure.php, phd, etc.), but I have some question.
> for gettint familiar with the tools, I wanted to build the english
> documentation, but it didn't get throught the xml validation (php
> doc-base/configure.php reported xml related problems, and the build
> aborted).
> is this normal? or it just happened that there are some problems with the
> current trunk for the english language?
> my other problem is that the hungarian documentation was abadoned a few
> years ago, and I don't know how should I proceed with that.
> I can see two different path: merge/branch the current english documentation
> and start copypasting/translating the hungarian translations, so basically
> this would go from scratch.
> the other possible way would be to start refactoring the current
> documentation, only focusing on the build problems, this way the hungarian
> docs could be built in the near future, but the content could/would be
> old/obsolete. :/
> for the record there are many pages with missing or n/a EN-Revision :(
> and of course there are the possible unseen problems (syntax changes, pages
> were spitted/merged, maybe some problems with the cvs->svn upgrade, or the
> utf8 transitional etc.)
> maybe the guys from the spanish and russian documentation team (Yago and
> Alexey) could help me with their experience, they were given with a really
> similar problem as me: resurrecting an old translation project.
> if I can find out what would be the best way to proceed, I can get help from
> [...]

Hi, Tyrael,
Russian translation (and me) still at the very beginning, it seems
that Anthony Dovgal (maintainer) lost interest to the translation, so
for now I'm the only one (highlander ;)). We went the second way -
Philip and Anthony helped to fix the build, fortunately, it wasn't so
much files to delete. BTW, don't throw away old translation, I've
found that there can be up to 80% of up-to-date/useful data,
especially it counts for large files (RU is about 2 years old). Start
from language-snippets.ent - this is one of the main, big (and
often-changeable) files.

About tools. There is one great script, which I'm generally working
with, called doc-base/scripts/revcheck.php, so it can show all state
of the translation, for now I'm working on stale/semi-translated files
and tracking progress with report generated by this script.
Also I borrowed some xml checking tools from online interface
(edit.php.net, section "Errors" on the left) and improved it so it
checks automatically all svn-modified files in your working copy.
They're by all means not complete, may contain errors (feedback is
appreciated) and were tested only on my Ubuntu box, but they serve a
good job for me and may be would be useful for you too.
I tried to put all tools together in a Phing script
(http://phing.info/docs/guide/stable/), you can find it here:
https://github.com/conf/phpdoc-scripts. If you don't familiar with git
just download the archive, and put its contents into your svn module
(I tried to keep its structure as close as possible).
As Yago said you will need people, as docs are huge, I'm going to
search some too in the near future, I'm just quite busy at work for
now.

That's all what I had to say. Good luck to you!
Shein Alexey