On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Philip Olson <phi...@roshambo.org> wrote:

> > I sent a mail to the doc...@lists.php.net, no reply yet.
> > As you can see, the hungarian translation is pretty abadoned:
> > http://news.php.net/php.doc.hu
> >
> > So I'm afraid that maybe my svn request won't be approved or granted
> karma without an active hungarian translation group member.
> > Could this be a problem, or I should simply wait some more?
>
> The main reason to write mailing lists of inactive languages is to see if
> anyone is sleeping, as sometimes people wake up and decide to help out. Who
> knows, your email to doc-hu@ still has time!
>
> Having an active group member present is nice but certainly not required,
> especially for inactive languages. But the standard procedure before
> receiving an account (and associated karma (commit rights)) is to do some
> work first. Please have a look here:
>
>  - http://wiki.php.net/doc/howto/gettingstarted
>
> Basically it means you do some translating, show us, and then you join in
> on the fun. See if the above helps and please feel free to ask questions.
>
> Also, let's keep this only on the doc list starting *click* now.
>
> Regards,
> Philip

Hi Philip, I didn't got reply from the doc-hu mailing list.
I've started to read trough the documenation about the current phpdoc
infrastructure (configure.php, phd, etc.), but I have some question.
for gettint familiar with the tools, I wanted to build the english
documentation, but it didn't get throught the xml validation (php
doc-base/configure.php reported xml related problems, and the build aborted
).
is this normal? or it just happened that there are some problems with the
current trunk for the english language?

my other problem is that the hungarian documentation was abadoned a few
years ago, and I don't know how should I proceed with that.
I can see two different path: merge/branch the current english documentation
and start copypasting/translating the hungarian translations, so basically
this would go from scratch.
the other possible way would be to start refactoring the current
documentation, only focusing on the build problems, this way the hungarian
docs could be built in the near future, but the content could/would be
old/obsolete. :/
for the record there are many pages with missing or n/a EN-Revision :(
and of course there are the possible unseen problems (syntax changes, pages
were spitted/merged, maybe some problems with the cvs->svn upgrade, or the
utf8 transitional etc.)

maybe the guys from the spanish and russian documentation team (Yago and
Alexey) could help me with their experience, they were given with a really
similar problem as me: resurrecting an old translation project.

if I can find out what would be the best way to proceed, I can get help from
the hungarian php community with the translation, but I don't want to start
gathering ppl, while I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Tyrael