----- Original Message -----
From: <tricks...@aol.com>

> Weird. The only experience I have ever had with a pinhole was in my high
> school photography class. We made shoebox pinholes, painted them entirely
> black inside with a small hole about the size of a pencil hole on the
> opposite side of the RC based paper. For a shutter we just covered the
hole
> with a paper and tape and just lifted it up for about a 10 to 20 sec
exposure
> and then closed it. We then developed the paper. My first pinhole image
> turned out pretty good but it didn't have a lot of contrast to it. From
what
> I'm hearing it sounds like you guys have more technological forms of a
> pinhole camera like actually using film in it.

Most people start shooting B&W paper, but there are times when you would
like to have the luxury of making lots of exposures.  Having lots of shoe
boxes loaded with paper is a way, having pinhole cameras that take film
(rolls: 35mm or 120, or even sheet film 4x5, 8x10, etc) is a less "bulky"
one!. BTW, film holders for 4x5 and above also take B&W of the corresponding
sizes.   Making your own film winding mechanism is not feasible for many of
us, so usually we recur to modify cameras.  These are some I have modified
(and that still have with me!):

A disposable 35mm plastic camera made to be a 14mm pinhole camera, shutter
is a piece of electric tape:
http://members.home.com/penate/cameras/14f.jpg

A 35mm format camera bought for a few bucks ($3.50 US I think) and converted
to a pinhole camera, shutter is a piece of foam:
http://members.home.com/penate/cameras/12.jpg

My latest one, just finished it yesterday!, an Agfa 6x6 folder purchased at
eBay for $9 converted to a 36mm pinhole camera, I still use the shutter that
came with the camera, but removed some of the front stuff to avoid
vignetting.
http://members.home.com/penate/cameras/6x6.jpg

Finally, this is a Pinhole Nikon bodycap I made by drilling a hole and
taping a pinhole at the back of it, I use that with my Nikon camera
(obviously).
http://members.home.com/penate/bcap_files/cap.jpg

>  I guess that is another way to
> do it. I'm sort of clueless as to make one.

Hope the above give you some ideas.

> The words you guys use are
> somewhat unfamiliar to me like pinhole/zone photography .

You know what pinhole is.  Zone Plate photography is a "relative" to pinhole
photography, you can read an explanation about it here:
http://members.home.com/penate/pinhole.html (look for the article at the
bottom of the page.  There is also a link to some examples of zoneplate
images.

> I'm assuming that 4x5 is a large format camera? How do you make a good
> pinhole camera? What do you guys use?

Yes 4x5 refers to large format cameras, it is relatively easy, though, to
construct a camera that uses 4x5 film holders, some of the list members have
done it.  I made one that takes 8x10 film holders. Here is a picture as seen
fron the rear:
http://members.home.com/penate/camera/camera.JPG

As far as "how to make a good pinhole camera", you'll have to define what
"good" is for you, first.

Guillermo