On 2015-03-31 09:33-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>

>> @Arjen and Phil, will both of you please look at the cygwin.tgz attachment?
>>
>> There is a big warning in plplot-cygwin/output_tree/cmake.out (for version
>> 3.0.1)
>> about "CMake no longer defines WIN32 on Cygwin!" Have either of you run into
>> this
>> issue for CMake on Cygwin?  There is advice in that warning about what Greg
>> should do to overcome this issue but with several options.  Could you advise
>> him
>> which option to take (and also update the Cywin part of our wiki
>> accordingly)?
>>
> I have tried building Plplot using static libraries (-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF
> -DENABLE_DYNDRIVERS=ON), but this fails on something in the Qt device:
>
> cd /cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/build-cygwin-static/bindings/qt_gui &&
> /usr/bin/c++.exe   -DPLPLOT_HAVE_CONFIG_H -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB
> -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_SVG_LIB -I/cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/include
> -I/cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/lib/qsastime
> -I/cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/lib/nistcd
> -I/cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/drivers
> -I/cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/build-cygwin-static
> -I/cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/build-cygwin-static/include -I/usr/include/qt4
> -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSvg -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore
>  -DUSINGDLL -o CMakeFiles/plplotqt.dir/plqt.cpp.o -c
> /cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/bindings/qt_gui/plqt.cpp
>
> /cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/bindings/qt_gui/plqt.cpp:28:28: error:
> definition of 'int vectorize' is marked 'dllimport'
>
> PLDLLIMPEXP_QT_DATA( int ) vectorize = 0;
>
>                            ^
>
> /cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/bindings/qt_gui/plqt.cpp:28:28: warning:
> 'vectorize' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport
> ignored [-Wattributes]
>
> /cygdrive/d/plplot-svn/plplot-git/bindings/qt_gui/plqt.cpp:29:28: error:
> definition of 'int lines_aa' is marked 'dllimport'
>
> PLDLLIMPEXP_QT_DATA( int ) lines_aa  = 1;
>
> I will retry it turning the Qt devices off. But this is clearly an issue
> connected to the WIN32 macro.

Hi Arjen:

Gack.  I am really glad you found this bug in setting the -DUSINGDLL
compile flag for libplplotqt source files (and also for smoke
bindings) for the static library case.  This bug was caused by a commit made
by me back in 2013.  One of our users has just run into this as well
(see recent traffic on plplot-general).

The funny thing is, this bug (which only affects Windows systems where
plplotqt is being built) has been around so long without detection.  I
am pretty sure that running scripts/comprehensive_testing.sh anytime
since 2013 on a Windows system with access to Qt would have found this
bug so this example emphasizes once again how important such
comprehensive testing (on fully loaded systems) is.

I have fixed this bug on my local system but cannot (yet) push it
to SF because there is a complete SF outage at this time!

So stay tuned to the git feed, and once this fix has been pushed, please
follow up with the above test again (as well as comprehensive testing
please).