On 2015-03-30 12:42-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> There is a big warning in plplot-cygwin/output_tree/cmake.out (for
> version 3.0.1) about "CMake no longer defines WIN32 on Cygwin!"

Hi Greg:

I believe I have now found the source of that warning message which is
(according to cmake mailing list messages I have read) that you were
using some non-Cygwin version of the cmake command, and Cygwin
requires you to use an officially packaged cmake command instead
in order for CMake-based builds to work properly on that platform.

For example, from
<https://cygwin.com/packages/x86/cmake/cmake-3.1.2-1> it appears this
particular offical Cygwin cmake binary is installed at
/usr/bin/cmake.exe, and the corresponding cmake modules are located at
/usr/share/cmake-3.1.2/Modules while from your cmake.out output you
were instead using a cmake version whose modules were installed in
/opt/local/!

So the next time you run a Cygwin test you should be sure to (a) have
a version of CMake installed from a Cygwin package, and (b) manipulate
your PATH before running scripts/comprehensive_test.sh so that is the
cmake version that is used.

Since MinGW-w64/MSYS2 is very similar to Cygwin, I assume that
platform has a similar requirement, i.e., in that case you must
install and use the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 version of cmake which probably
explains (at least in part) the bad results you were getting
for your tests on your various MSYS2 platforms.

Note also, that Cygwin and (likely) MSYS2 are unique in this regard
and for Unix platforms a generic Unix version of cmake can be used and
for Windows platforms like MSVC and MinGW/MSYS, a generic Windows
version of cmake can be used.