Hi Phil:

This is mostly addressed to you because it turns out one of your
commits is causing release-critical trouble with the plsori
call in example 3 as well as any attempt to use a non-zero -ori
option.

The current status of the PLplot-5.14.0 release process is as follows:

The PLplot development freeze that started on October 27th contines,
i.e., do not push any topics other than documentation updates or
well-tested bug fixes.

I had gotten to the stage in README.Release_Manager_Cookbook where I
was checking a locally generated version of our website when I
discovered all lines were missing from example 3 for pngcairo.
Further checking revealed that if plsori is called with a non-zero
value (example 3) or the -ori option is used with a non-zero value
(all other examples), then all graphical elements in the plot
disappear for all device drivers!

The plsori routine is simply a wrapper for plsdiori, and the -ori
command-line option calls plsdiori directly.  So this changed behaviour
for plsdiori since 5.13.0 is a substantial regression which
is therefore release critical.

I used the commands

make -j16 x01c ; make -j16 cairo
examples/c/x01c -dev xcairo -ori 0.001

to help git bisect the issue, and from that bisection the first commit
to cause missing graphics (i.e., missing lines) for that last command
(or the same command for any other device) was your commit
plplot-5.13.0-47-g124a0c3a2, with the subject line: "Set all clip
limit changes I could find to use plP_sclp and hence get recorded in
the buffer"

Furthermore, for a local topic branch based on master tip, if I
locally reverse that commit, the problem with missing graphics for the
above example is solved and similarly (note that example 3 contains
a call to plsori)

examples/c/x03c -dev xcairo

(or any other device) works fine (without missing graphics) as well.

With the reversed commit, one thing that does not work well is (as expected)

examples/c/x33c -dev wxwidgets

which has rendering issues (missing lines and other graphical items).
However, my test of that example with -dev xcairo, -dev qtwidget, and
-dev xwin do render well with this reversed commit.

@Phil:
This commit (or its reverse) is not intrusive at all so it should not
be that difficult to figure out why this change had such a
catastrophic effect on plsdiori.

N.B. Once I have that figured out, I will likely just go ahead and
reverse your commit so that -ori and calls to plsori continue to work
properly for our users just like they did for release 5.13.0.  Of
course, reversing your commit means that your attempt to record clip
limits in the buffer this way in order to fix "examples/c/x33c -dev wxwidgets"
will have to be addressed post-release
in a way that preserves the functionality of -ori and plsori, but
likely that will be far more intrusive than your commit
plplot-5.13.0-47-g124a0c3a2 so it very likely should be a post-release
change in any case.

In sum, if I don't hear back from you quickly, I will likely just go
ahead and reverse your commit tomorrow (Tuesday) and comprehensively
test that change in anticipation of making the release later
tomorrow.

More later.