From the article mentioned in the original post:

Microsoft's practice is facilitated by the UEFI, or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, which allows a manufacturer to lock down the boot process so that it will only work on their specified conditions.

What's to keep Microsoft from telling a manufacturer they must lock down the machine so no other operating system will boot on it if they want licenses to install windows on their machines?