During the mid 80's software manufactures tried to lock down their software.
What they found was stopping pirating entirely reduced sales.  Who would have
known.  The thought at the time was that without the ability to copy and try,
some were unwilling to buy.  Unintended byproduct.  The other thing that
happens was a work around.   There were several apps that would unlock the
software and allow it to be installed anywhere.

If the hardware manufactures lock down their hardware several things are going
to happen.  someone will create an open source / free app to beat the hardware
lock.

Another unintended consequence could be surplus (used) hardware become unusable.

Another consequence could be a niche market for unlocked hardware, which could
cause the OEM's to lose market share.

Yet another unintended consequence is the potential for increased support by
M$.  I seem to recall a number of years ago M$ tried to lock down it's OS and
support was a big issue and they stopped the practice.

If they lock down the hardware, I will not buy Dell or HP any longer.  I will
build my own.

Keith Smith