Patricia,

UEFI boot modification is trivial; Installfests currently teach others (at
some level) to "roll their own".

   - Linux <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel> has been able to use
   EFI at boot time since early
2000,*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>
   * using the elilo <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elilo> EFI boot loader
   or, more recently, EFI versions of GRUB<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRUB>

.[33]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-debiangrubexample-32>Grub+Linux
also supports booting from a GUID partition table without UEFI.

[14]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-grub_BIOS_install-13>
   - HP-UX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-UX> has used (U)EFI as its boot
   mechanism on IA-64 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-64> systems since
   2002.
   - HP OpenVMS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS> has used (U)EFI on
   IA-64 since its initial evaluation release in December 2003, and for
   production releases since January
2005.[34]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-33>
   - Apple <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.> uses EFI for its line
   of Intel-based
Macs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple%E2%80%93Intel_architecture>.
   Mac OS X v10.4 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.4> Tiger for
   Intel and Mac OS X v10.5
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.5>Leopard implement EFI
v1.10 in 32-bit mode, even on 64-bit CPUs (newer Macs
   have 64-bit EFI, but full support will not arrive until Mac OS X 10.8
   Mountain Lion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_10.8_Mountain_Lion>

).[35]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-appleuefiversion1-34>
   - The Itanium <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium> versions of Windows
   2000 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000> (Advanced Server
   Limited Edition and Datacenter Server Limited Edition) implemented EFI 1.10
   in 2002. MS Windows Server
2003<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003>for
   IA-64 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-64>, MS Windows XP 64-bit
Edition<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_64-bit_Edition>and
Windows
   2000 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000> Advanced Server Limited
   Edition, all of which are for the Intel
Itanium<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium>family of processors,
implement EFI, a requirement of the platform through
   the DIG64 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIG64>
specification.[36]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-35>
   - Microsoft introduced UEFI for x86-64 Windows operating systems
with Windows
   Server 2008 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2008> and Windows
   Vista Service Pack
1<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_Service_Pack_1>,
   so the 64-bit versions of Windows
7<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7>are compatible with EFI.
Microsoft does not implement 32-bit UEFI since
   vendors did not have any interest in producing native 32-bit UEFI firmware
   because of the mainstream status of 64-bit
computing.[37]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-WindowsVistaUEFI-36>Microsoft
has released a video with Andrew Ritz and Jamie Schwartz
   explaining Pre-OS UEFI functions on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

[38]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-37>
   - Microsoft will demand that computers with the "Designed for Windows 8"
   logo to use UEFI with secure
boot<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_boot>(which will only allow
signed software to run on the device) enabled by

default.[39]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-Windows8UEFISecureBoot-38>

[40]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-Windows8UEFIClarifies-39>
Red
   Hat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat> developer Matthew Garrett
   raised concerns over the requirement for secure booting to be enabled by
   default and Microsoft responded by saying that there was no mandate from
   Microsoft that prevents secure booting from being disabled in firmware or
   that keys could not be updated and
managed.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-Windows8UEFISecureBoot-38><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#cite_note-Windows8UEFIClarifies-39>
   - Microsoft has been protecting Desktop Support Careers since 1998!

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**