Ahh the day of the Dongle.

I expect a much higher than average number of people on this list can "roll
their own" -- that is certainly not the case in general even amongst linux
users.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM, keith smith <klsmith2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> During the mid 80's software manufactures tried to lock down their
> software.  What they found was stopping pirating entirely reduced sales.
> Who would have known.  The thought at the time was that without the ability
> to copy and try, some were unwilling to buy.  Unintended byproduct.  The
> other thing that happens was a work around.   There were several apps that
> would unlock the software and allow it to be installed anywhere.
>
> If the hardware manufactures lock down their hardware several things are
> going to happen.  someone will create an open source / free app to beat the
> hardware lock.
>
> Another unintended consequence could be surplus (used) hardware become
> unusable.
>
> Another consequence could be a niche market for unlocked hardware, which
> could cause the OEM's to lose market share.
>
> Yet another unintended consequence is the potential for increased support
> by M$.  I seem to recall a number of years ago M$ tried to lock down it's
> OS and support was a big issue and they stopped the practice.
>
> If they lock down the hardware, I will not buy Dell or HP any longer.  I
> will build my own.

> Keith Smith

Sent from my super hot-shot dual core 64 bit Gateway running Ubuntu 12 from
the chrome/teak/glass desktop in my Luxo Scottsdale condo.

Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL
WB8DXX