On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On the same morning that the 76 was shipped back, I went to EcoBinary at
> Keith's suggestion.  Great idea.  I now have a new-looking Lenovo L420
> ($180).
>
> I want some advice on setting it up.  It has a 320G HD; 4G ram.  I have a
> 128G SSD.  I want to switch from current Windows 7 Pro to Ubuntu, but put
> the W7 into VBox, along with my present Windows 2000.  I will run a couple
> of older programs in the W2K and a couple of newer programs in the W7.
> Most work will be done in Ubuntu; the performance of the virtual machines
> is not very important.  How might I best configure this?
>
> The max. ram this will take is 8G.  The seller said he thought currently
> the 4G is in one stick.  Assuming that is correct, is it ok to add a 2nd 4G
> stick, or should  they both be of the same vintage?
>
> I was able to find a Hardware Maintenance Manual, so with some study I may
> be able to answer the last of these questions myself.
>
> Thanks for the advice..
>
> -Denis

On-line research leads me to believe that the L420 can have a 2nd HD by
replacing the optical drive with a HD in a carrier.  It is unclear to me
how this drive will be seen by the system:  can it be configured to mount
automatically?  Can VB use it for its big files?  If yes, then it just a
matter of learning how to set it up.  If not, then perhaps I should opt for
a single larger SSD drive.

-Denis