Yes, you can clone drive or partition and access it successfully that way
from VBox. That is pretty routine.

I would not expect it to boot Windows from the image though.

Most likely, you are heading for fresh windows install or Windows recovery in
VBox.

If you really want to preserve your Win installations, my advice would be to
create proper recovery media from windows and verify that they work as
intended in VBox before you start reconfiguring your machine. If that does not
work, prepare for fresh Win install in VBox.

Just make sure that you do not ever start the recovered VBox instance together
with another running installation of the same Windows instance - you could end
up having them both disabled by their anti-piracy features.

I would recommend destroying the original installation after you have working
VBox instance and all the data + backup. VBox instances are easy to backup - I
export them as appliance (which is self-contained image) from time to time - y
ou get one compact file which is easy to archive and restore. That is the best
beauty of VMs - they are independent of slowly dying HW.

Tomas