mSATA is SATA SSD in different package than ordinary 2.5" SSDs or HDDs.
There is additional mSata connector in your laptop where you could plug it in.
That way you could keep your SATA HDD or SSD + the optical drive.

Here is an example of mSata SSD drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02T64815
They cost less than $100 per 250GB drive and you would plug them to the mSata
slot. See p 74 Hardware Maintenance Manual:
https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/l420_l421_l520_hmm_en_0a60342_07.pdf

That slot is not used in your laptop, unless you have and use WAN card for LTE
(mobile internet).

Hope it helps, Tomas