About your Win7 VBox install - You should not need win installation disks from
Lenovo - just create Win 7 restore disk from Control Panel and use that to
restore Win 7 in VBox VM. If that fails they are downloadable from MS - in
this case you will need Win 7 licence sticker with the activation code.

In terms of your SSD, if I would be building this machine, I would consider
couple of SSD scenarios:

1. Get mSata SSD and use it as boot disk, swap and for the VMs instead of the
HDD. Everything else would stay the same - hdd and the optical drive. mSata
drives cost about the same as SATA SSDs these days.

2. Replace the hdd with SSD and use it as boot disk, swap and for the VMs
instead of the HDD. This would leave the hdd out, thus saving money instead of
purchasing the optical drive hdd enclosure which could cost more than SSD.
Storing bulk data on a network drive instead of in a laptop has many
advantages.

3. Replace the hdd with SSD and use it as boot disk, swap and for the VMs
instead of the HDD. Reuse the hdd as home dir in the optical bay. I take it
that SSD would be /dev/sda and hdd /dev/sdb.

OS and VMs perform much better on SSDs, especially when you run more than one.

It all depends what is the best compromise for you.

All the best, Tomas