On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> mSATA is SATA SSD in different package than ordinary 2.5" SSDs or HDDs.
> There is additional mSata connector in your laptop where you could plug it
> in.
> That way you could keep your SATA HDD or SSD + the optical drive.
>
> Here is an example of mSata SSD drive:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02T64815
> They cost less than $100 per 250GB drive and you would plug them to the
> mSata
> slot. See p 74 Hardware Maintenance Manual:
>
> https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/l420_l421_l520_hmm_en_0a60342_07.pdf
>
> That slot is not used in your laptop, unless you have and use WAN card for
> LTE
> (mobile internet).
>
> Hope it helps, Tomas

Thanks, Tomas.  It helps.  I knew that the slot was not in use, but I did
not know what a WAN card is nor if I might want it in the future.  Now I
know that I will not want it.

I know that the packages for the mSATA and the SATA SSD are different.  But
I had the impression that the package for the SATA SSD was simply a case
around an mSATA.  I see that an adapter to go from mSATA to SSD 2.5" is
available.  This does not mean that the inside of my SSD is an mSATA.  It
would be convenient for me if that were so.

-Denis