On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, you can clone drive or partition and access it successfully that way
> from VBox. That is pretty routine.
>
> I would not expect it to boot Windows from the image though.
>
> Most likely, you are heading for fresh windows install or Windows recovery
> in
> VBox.
>
> If you really want to preserve your Win installations, my advice would be
> create proper recovery media from windows and verify that they work as
> intended in VBox before you start reconfiguring your machine. If that does
> not
> work, prepare for fresh Win install in VBox.
>
> Just make sure that you do not ever start the recovered VBox instance
> together
> with another running installation of the same Windows instance - you could
> end
> up having them both disabled by their anti-piracy features.
>
> I would recommend destroying the original installation after you have
> working
> VBox instance and all the data + backup. VBox instances are easy to backup
> - I
> export them as appliance (which is self-contained image) from time to time
> -

you get one compact file which is easy to archive and restore. That is the
> best
> beauty of VMs - they are independent of slowly dying HW.
>
> Tomas

To clarify:  This is a new machine to me.  It has a fresh install of Win 7
on it.  Nothing more; nothing of mine.  I hope to get the Win 7 install
disk(s) from Lenovo for use in creating a VB instance of it.  And I have a
VB installation of Win 2K on my desktop (ubuntu 14.04) which I plan to
duplicate in the laptop when I understand the ins and outs (I  am a
novice).  One crucial question relates to the 128G SSD and the 320G
HD--what roles  should each of the drives play in the new system?  My
understanding is that the drive in the optical drive bay does not have the
same status as a second drive in a typical desktop installation.

I am ready for education.

-Denis