Freddy wrote:

> I also run LetsEncrypt, NGINX and a MQTT broker but to my understanding
> the latter is of no use for this setup since we must use Amazons IOT
> broker?

That's right, at least for now.

Conceptually you've still got an unsolved problem if you use your own
broker - of how to connect to this broker and on what port etc (and
Lambda means no persistent connections of course). The use-case for the
MQTT transport mode was networking / firewalls that -don't allow any
NAT- (so no port mapping etc)

Plus Amazon's one is near-free, always up, close to the Lambda and
relatively easy / consistent to configure, I guess.