SamY wrote:
> Interesting. The first thing that sticks out to me is that the Z2?
> command, which is the first command issued by the plugin during "power
> on" processing to check the status of Zone 2, is consistently taking
> ~1.7 seconds to respond. The timeout interval for that command was 1
> second in previous versions, which is why it was timing out before.
> Unfortunately, there is no mechanism currently in place to handle that
> scenario, such as retrying it after a delay, etc. The power on simply
> fails. In the newer version, the timeout is 2 seconds, so that command
> and the subsequent Z2ON command are completing successfully.
> Interestingly, the Z2ON is also consistent in its response time but much
> faster, averaging about .003 seconds.  However, all of the client volume
> commands following that are timing out. The timeout value for those
> commands was increased from .125 sec to .5 sec in the newer release, but
> that doesn't seem to be enough in your environment. The timeout for the
> power off command (Z2OFF) was also increased, from .125 to 2 seconds and
> all but one of them timed out, the successful one taking .9 seconds to
> respond.
All you found out is puzzling, indeed. It's a fairly modern AVR, and
yet, it seems pretty sluggish in processing of the commands. But, even
with those timeout errors, which at the time would pop up after almost
every command, the plugin used to work OK, but that (earlier) version
was sending many commands 'blindly' (at the time the lag in volume
changes was the issue at hand).

SamY wrote:
> So I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want, I could code a special
> version with much higher timeouts but I'm not sure that would really
> help because the high number of volume requests might clog the pipe even
> more. Do you know if there are any firmware updates available for your
> Denon AVR?
The firmware has been periodically updated, and it's set to aout-update.
I will check, though.

You are being very generous with your offer of a custom version, and I
thank you for that, but I'd rather help you out in finding ways to
improve general robustness of the plugin, which would benefit all. It's
a quality-of-life enhancement for LMS that's worth pursuing.

SamY wrote:
> Btw, I am currently working on changes for a future release which will
> clean up and improve the handling of non-main zones, such as adding
> support for the quick select command which is currently supported only
> on the main zone. I have made some changes which I have not been able to
> test due to the lack of secondary zones in my system. If you can figure
> out where the bottleneck is in your system, maybe you would like to be a
> guinea pig... I mean beta tester. ;-)   Right now, though, I don't know
> what to tell you. Your ping times are impressive, much better than I get
> on my network, but that doesn't seem to translate to real-world response
> time between your LMS server and the AVR for some reason.  Let me know
> if you want to pursue testing with higher timeout values and/or
> enhancements to zone processing.
>
> Good luck.

To help you in this endeavor, as a user it's the least I can do, and it
will be a pleasure to assist you. Thank you for working on making this
plugin better.