Pippin, thank you so much for the work you've put in on this!  It was a
factor in my decision to buy an iPhone yesterday.  I am now irritating
my wife by changing tracks from the kitchen ;)

Having only tried the current stable version (4.0) I've no idea whether
the 3.9 may be faster due to omitting the landscape view (which I didn't
notice being particularly slow, but won't use) - I'm afraid since I have
it working on 4.0 I'm not keen to fiddle with it now!  You've mentioned
how much optimisation you've done to speed it up, so I'm guessing that
4.0 is as quick as it gets.

--
SJobson