I don't know the OSX specifics but I believe the following to be
applicable.

First - a user which is an administrator will nearly always be able to
run mplayer whereas SBS does not run as Administrator but with another
userid and group which has very few privileges needs to have
permissions and owner set correctly in order to run mplayer.  Ideally
when testing mplayer execution you should be testing logged in with the
same userid (and by implication group) as the SBS userid.

For a user to run mplayer - the user needs execute, sometimes read but
not write access. The containing directories will needs execute access
as well to list/search the directory.  Write access except for owner is
dangerous and a security risk as it enables non privileged users alter
the executable.

When looking at a file properties/details - permissions will have
owner, group and others/everyone access.  You only indicated one set of
permissions.

In a Terminal windows you can use the "ls -l" command to list file
permissions, owner and group.

--
bpa