At my own peril, I spent some time this afternoon googling the Linux
cron job protocol. I think I understand what it supposed to do but I
need to do more research/investigation before having the confidence to
try it. Conceptually, it seems like it is possible to execute a command
something like this: "30 0 * * 2-0  pm-suspend" to handle leaving the
server on for just Monday AM, although I'm not sure the 2-0 is correct
to denote a Tuesday through Sunday sequence, let alone the rest of the
text.

I assume that your excellent plug in somehow puts a friendly face on
the chron job procedure, which is a real benefit for folks like me.

Thus far, my server is automatically waking from the suspend state (S3)
by a Squeezebox server alarm. I will see what happens when the RTC BIOS
command change I made today kicks in in the morning. That might be a
work-around.

I understand the concept of triggering a "silent alarm" for the
overnight session when I want the server to remain on. Is it necessary
to have one of my Squeezebox players turned on for that to work? Or, is
there a way to execute the alarm without having at least one player on?
(I try to turn them off at night too.) Perhaps the Squeezebox server
could be faked out by triggering some other event to keep itself awake
to allow time for the other tasks to commence.

Of course, this assumes that I can fiddle with the settings and keep my
server in a low power mode overnight but still aware enough to turn
itself back on. The suspend S3 mode only consumes 1.4 watts according
to my Kill-A-Watt, which is great. Oddly, when the server is in the S3
mode, the power switch will not turn it back on. I have to remove the
power cable and plug it back in to bring the server to life. However,
when I used your plug in last night to do a total shutdown (before I
adjusted the BIOS to shutdown to the S3 mode), the server shut down at
the correct time, did not wake up at the designated alarm time but
quickly turned on with a press of the power button. That's always a
fall back.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query from
your "undisclosed location" via your iPad. I look forward to hearing
your additional thoughts when you have the time and are back by a
regular keyboard. My wife bought an iPad for my birthday. My silent
thought at the time was "thanks but what am I going to do with this?"
(I love my iPhone but am not an Apple fanboy by default). Now I can't
live without it!

Thanks again for your assistance...and all the work that you are
putting into your plug ins!

Chuck

--
ctweedle