Peter83;671547 Wrote:

> With the way things are going I don't see myself assuming that I will
> use this setup for more than three years. There are plenty of reasons,
> both on the software and hardware side, that make me believe it will
> not last that long. Got experience with that already (it is called Roku
> Soundbridge).

I understand your feeling, if someone would have asked me back in 2006
if I could see myself being involved this much in Squeezebox devices
five years in the future, I would pretty much have answered similar as
you do.

My feeling is still that Squeezeboxes will be providing music in my
home for a long time, with or without the help of Logitech.

The main reason I do provide the yearly purchase options is to make it
possible for people as yourself to pay one year at the time instead of
paying for the more expensive option without any expiration date.

Peter83;671547 Wrote:

> Unfortunately I need three plugins to make that happen. Whether it
> needs to be packaged that way I don't know, but now that you start
> charging, it becomes relevant to the user. For example, on your
> Wikipage you highlight that the DynamicPlaylist plugin doesn't realy do
> anything without something else. Yet, I still need to pay USD5 per year
> for it.

I guess my phrasing on the wiki page isn't completely optimal from a
commercial perspective :-)

When purchasing, it's hopefully pretty clear that you will get Dynamic
Playlist for free if you purchase SQL Playlist, so just to be correct,
in your case it means $10 per year for TrackStat, SQL Playlist and
Dynamic Playlist plugin. But users that only want Dynamic Playlist will
still have to pay $5 for it.

Peter83;671547 Wrote:

> On that basis I will not buy any licence. It just is not enough value
> for my money.
>
> I thought I let you know just in case you want to reconsider the
> packaging of your licence for the smaller users of your plugins (or
> merge some of the plugins). Clearly it is your decision how much to
> ask, as it is my decision not to buy. Thats all about going commercial,
> so no hard feelings! Not everything in life can be for free.

Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it.

I personally don't think $10 (a few burger meals per year) is much in
comparison to be able to play music the way you like 365 days per year,
but as you say, each user have to decide for themselves if it's worth
the money or not. Unfortunately, the number of Squeezebox users aren't
enough to use similar prices as you see on Android/iOS app stores, it's
always going to be a bit more expensive in this limited market.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.