I had LMS re-scan the collection a few times,  but Smart Mix does not
see anything except these same songs.  I am only using tracks on a local
disk.  I guess the key is how to get it to read the existing LMS scan?
Does it perform it's own scan?

Not its own scan, but it adds a step to the regular scan. If the scanner fails for whatever reason, you might end up with an empty profile.

Did you check scanner.log? If in doubt, set logging for plugin.smartmix to debug (Settings/Advanced/Logging) and re-run a full wipe/rescan. Then check the log again.

--

Michael